Head of Avatars
Ready Player Me
Who we are
The future of digital experiences is not a single app. It's a network of millions of virtual worlds and digital experiences people visit to play games, socialize and collaborate. Today, most of those experiences are closed and disconnected walled gardens.
Ready Player Me is a cross-game avatar platform for developers, players, and leading brands. We're on a mission to break down the virtual walls to enable more open and connected worlds, and any digital experience.
We started 2021 with 24 companies using our avatar system, and we are now trusted by over 9,000 games, apps, and leading brands.
Present and future
We are backed by top investors like Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), Plural, David Baszucki, co-founder of Roblox, Justin Kan, co-founder of Twitch, Sebastian Knutsson & Riccardo Zacconi, King Games co-founders, Konvoy Ventures, Endeavor and Samsung Next among many others.
Our team has built avatar systems for companies like Tencent, Huawei, HTC, and Verizon since 2014. We are working with well-known brands like Warner Bros, Adidas, Tommy Hilfiger, Dior, New Balance, and RTFKT.
With more than 9,000 developers and millions of users, Ready Player Me is the world's leading avatar platform, offering tools and services for developers to integrate into their games, apps, and virtual worlds. Users can customize their avatars to reflect their personal style and individuality and use them across thousands of interoperable worlds.
Come join us on this exciting journey and play a key role in shaping the future of how we represent ourselves in games and virtual worlds, while breaking down those virtual walls!
We are looking for a passionate and skilled Art Director to join our growing team and to elevate Ready Player Me's avatar designs. You'll shape the art style based on customer segments and feedback, deliver AAA-quality assets, and own the release of avatars catering to a diverse customer base. As part of the RPM executive team, you'll also contribute to company and product strategy.
Your daily adventures will include:
- Oversee Art Department operations, spanning 2D/3D art, rigging/animations, and marketing visuals.
- Set visual direction for RPM avatars, targeting GenZ and younger Millennials.
- Craft avatar styles that are distinctive yet versatile across various games and experiences.
- Stay attuned to fashion and youth culture for modern asset creation.
- Lead a multifaceted art team from concept to technical stages.
- Manage the end-to-end avatar creation process, from sketches to 3D models.
- Collaborate with external agencies for top-notch character art.
- Work with internal tech and product teams for quality enhancements.
- Conduct user research to align avatar designs with target market needs.
- Explore AI-driven solutions to revolutionize avatar creation.
What you bring:
- 10+ years in roles like Artist, Art Director, or Creative Director within gaming.
- 5+ years leading art and creative teams.
- Expertise in creating character systems from the ground up.
- Technical grasp of 3D character-related concepts and game-ready asset requirements.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
As a bonus, it would be awesome if you:
- Experience designing character systems for diverse games/experiences.
- Worked on products aimed at GenZ.
- Contributed to an early-stage, category-defining product.
- Already built character-systems from scratch.
- Have experience in a startup or scale-up environment.
- Love to play games.
Why you’ll love it here:
🌏 Work as a remote-first team anywhere in the world or in our Tallinn, Berlin or London hubs. We currently already have people in 16 countries.
📚 Personal development - exciting challenges mean a big impact. To reach the next level, we offer a personal learning budget.
💤 Flexible days off - we work hard, but it’s important for us to make sure people take time out to recharge.
🏖️ Holiday budget - we need your energy, so make the most of it!
✈️ Biannual company retreats and team gatherings in our hubs; our Summer Days are legendary.
🕟 Flexible working hours - Results are more important than hours on the clock: we trust you to maintain your work-life balance.
📈 Competitive salary with equity options
What’s life like at Ready Player Me?
At Ready Player Me, expect to make an impact and be a part of an ambitious, passionate, collaborative and caring team. We're here to do the best work of our lives, and build a world, both here and in the Metaverse, that we can be proud of. Our eNPS is 82! Our focus is on working together to build outstanding experiences for our users, at the forefront of change and innovation, as the Metaverse expands. We are a trusted partner, and we continuously strive to learn together. We always seek to be smarter tomorrow than we are today. Also check out our values.