Senior Backend Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, June 25, 2023
We are a group of passionate developers dedicated to creating the next generation of online games.
Lunchbox Entertainment is looking for an experienced Gaming Backend Engineer to join our team developing a custom in-house multiplayer backend platform to support our upcoming MOBA project.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the exploration and analysis of functional and business requirements
- Collaborate in the design of new features for implementation in the existing platform
- Develop modifications and additions to the backend platform codebase. This includes but is not limited to: APIs, Services, Data Schemas, Web Dashboards and User Interfaces.
- Change and enhance the game code to enable and maintain integration points with the backend platform.
- Write code that queries and writes data to and from relational databases, message queues and in memory caches.
- Diagnose and resolve issues and bug tickets.
- Build unit tests, error and debug logs, monitoring, metrics and analytics tools as well as design and technical documentation.
- Collaborate with QA and Unity Developers by participating in playtests and working sessions aimed at reproducing and diagnosing bugs and issues.
- Collaborate with DevOps engineers in the design and implementation of infrastructure and CI/CD pipelines to support the deployment, execution and monitoring of the backend platform and its associated services.
- Work alongside third party vendors and external service providers to support the ongoing interoperability between our backend platform and external systems such as: matchmaking, server fleet management and cloud infrastructure, among others.
- Participate in supporting the ongoing live execution of the platform and during internal playtests, beta testing and production releases.
What you’ll get to do
- Build a custom globally accessible multiplayer platform expected to be accessed by a high numbers of concurrent players.
- Play a role in defining the next generation of responsible free-to-play social games.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team made up of experts from gaming as well as other industries from across the world.
- Participate from the early stages throughout the entirety of a new platform’s lifecycle.
What We’re Looking For
- Passion for technology and video games
- Familiarity developing server side cloud applications in a microservices architecture.
- Working knowledge about communicating applications via diverse mechanisms such as RPCs, REST APIs, Message Queues, etc.
- Experience working with strongly typed, object oriented programming languages and related code analysis tools.
- A history developing multiplayer gaming platforms in one or more of the following areas: Matchmaking Analytics, Inventory Management, Player Accounts, Authentication, Social Features, Competitive Gameplay, Admin DashboardsScalability
Nice to Have
- Prior experience with Kotlin
- Understanding of gRPC
- Experience working with AWS
- Knowledge of Kubernetes
- Experience working in Unity
- Working knowledge of C#
- Experience working with Mirror networking