CFO & Regulatory Accounting Manager, Coinbase Financial Markets (FCM)
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is looking for a highly motivated accounting professional to join the Controllership team to lead the accounting and reporting for all futures and derivatives products for both regulated and non-regulated entities, and serve as the Chief Financial Officer for our US based regulated FCM, Coinbase Financial Markets. The ideal candidate must possess strong accounting, compliance, regulatory reporting and operational expertise, an ability to communicate and work with various teams outside of Finance (such as Legal/Compliance, Trading Operations and other Product/Engineering groups), and a desire to make a significant impact on a dynamic, high-growth technology company.
Reporting to the Global Corporate Controller, the CFO & Head of Regulatory Accounting, Coinbase Financial Markets will be responsible for the daily monitoring, accounting, reporting and analysis of business activity related to derivatives and financial instruments at Coinbase and all regulatory compliance requirements related to the registered FCM. This position will work with various cross functional teams within the Company and requires someone with impeccable attention to detail, a financial and analytic mindset and knowledge of accounting for derivatives and financial instruments.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- Responsible for oversight, review and timely submission of all required reporting to the CFTC, NFA and other regulatory agencies
- Responsible for leading a team through all aspects of monthly accounting close activities related to derivatives for regulated and non-regulated entities
- Oversee the preparation of monthly financial statements and quarterly/annual financial results presentations and board meeting materials
- Collaborate with leadership in various operations and trading teams in the development and monitoring of hedging programs and trading strategies
- Lead the design and implementation of internal controls over compliance, regulatory reporting and accounting policies and procedures
- Monitor the firm’s daily liquidity management and capital requirements
- Coordinate all internal and external audits for the registered FCM entity and non-regulated derivatives trading entities
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements): To be completed by all business teams except Eng.
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field / CPA required
- NFA Series 3 license required, FINRA series 24, 27 or equivalent licenses nice to have
- Minimum of 10 years experience in in a combination of public accounting, FCM and broker-dealer industry with an emphasis on accounting, financial management and regulatory reporting
- Working knowledge of Futures Exchange / CFTC / NFA Rules and Regulations as they apply to a registered Futures Commission Merchant and ability to apply regulations to new situations
- Experience interacting with regulators such as FINRA, NFA, CFTC and ability to respond to regulatory inquiries and lead routine compliance examinations
- Technical understanding of customer asset protection standards, margin requirements, and both operational and financial regulatory reporting
- Strong knowledge of accounting guidance related to Derivatives and Hedging (ASC 815) and customer fund protection guidance related to FCM futures clients (17 CFR 1.20)
- Knowledgeable about investments with an interest in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency
- Ability to maintain a deep understanding and remain current with the applicable federal and state securities laws and regulations; along with SRO rules relating to financial and operational responsibility
- Expert project management skills and ability to manage numerous projects
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate effectively with team members and business stakeholders, and promptly escalate material issues to internal stakeholders and/or regulators as required
- Exhibit solid analytical thinking, ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with excellent prioritization and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to work EST hours to meet daily regulatory filing deadlines
Nice to haves:
- Experience working at a publicly traded company
- Knowledge of SQL, Python or other programming languages
- Experience working in Netsuite, WinJammer, ION XTP, FloQast and G-Suite
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.