Internal Controls Analyst (Business and IT)
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The Finance Controls team is looking for a Controls Analyst to join the team. You will be responsible for creating and maintaining process, risk, and controls documentation in support of SOX and SOC compliance, coordinating evidence requests in support of various audits. You will get exposure to a wide variety of stakeholders from Finance, Product, Legal, Security Compliance and Audit as we promote and strengthen the controls framework. The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of SOX 404, US GAAP principles, and SOC report delivery derived from experience in these areas. You should be well versed in business process mapping, risk identification, and control documentation, and show exceptional attention to detail, organization, and project management skills. The candidate will need to quickly build strong working relationships with key stakeholders and show a mindset of collaboration and business partnership. As the business grows, we are focused on sustainability and consistency to drive towards a best-in-class Finance Controls team and you will be critical to the success of the team.
What you’ll be doing (i.e. job duties):
- Coordinate across Control Owners to scope, design, and implement an effective control framework that supports SOC / SOX compliance
- Document and update key process documentation, including risks / controls, and ensure proper alignment with key stakeholders
- Perform gap analysis and assist the business in preparing relevant entities for SOC and SOX audits
- Coordinate business and IT testing, to include evidence gathering to support design adequacy and operating effectiveness of controls
- Assist in preparing the annual / quarterly management scoping, risk assessment, controls mapping
- Tracking of ongoing remediation items and coordination with internal and external auditors
- Prepare training around risk and control best practices, as well as company wide policies and procedures for SOX compliance
- Provide ad hoc reports and status on responsibilities
- Work on special projects / initiatives as assigned
- Ability to manage multiple projects and communicate with different cultures and levels within the organization
- Ability to stay calm when things don’t go according to plan, then creatively and collaboratively build new pathways forward
What we look for in you (i.e. job requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance/Business area, with CPA Certification (or working towards) preferred
- 4+ years of experience, including financial audit/attestation preferably in a Big 4 firm or a public company’s internal audit/SOX function or a combination thereof
- Knowledge and experience in Internal Control over Financial Reporting, SOX 404 framework, SOC audits and the required documentation and testing to support compliance
- Very strong bias for action - proactive starter
- Highly motivated with very strong project management, organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable in a growth environment, managing through ambiguity and delivering at a fast pace
- Resilient and gritty
Nice to haves:
- Working knowledge of Netsuite, Archer, and G-suite tools
- Crypto background and technical product knowledge
- Experience with IT controls / Engineering
- Working with complex data
Job #: P53843
Pay Transparency Notice: The target annual salary for this position can range as detailed below. Full time offers from Coinbase also include target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, and vision).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.