Staff Software Engineer, Privacy Engineering
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase stores a large amount of digital currency making us a top tier target on the internet. Security is core to our mission and has been a key competitive differentiator for us as we scale. If you’re looking to fight on the front lines in a high-intensity environment, we’d like to speak with you about joining our security team.
Coinbase is looking for a privacy software engineer to help make privacy a reality in our products and internal services. This role is key to protecting customers and enhancing capabilities of teams across the company. You will be collaborating with teams to assess privacy risk, manage privacy vulnerabilities, and design services that enable us to better engage our customers about privacy and data protection.
We highly value individuals with intellectual curiosity and openness. We collaborate across the organization, helping our engineers think big and take risks while building a culture of diversity, positive energy, and blameless truth-seeking.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Develop and implement solutions to ensure privacy policies are correctly implemented (i.e. systems to ensure we process DSARs properly)
- Analyze, design, and program software enhancements to mitigate privacy vulnerabilities and prevent potential future privacy risks
- Use data anonymization, pseudonymization and encryption to develop systems that preserve and improve privacy protections, and advise on when each solution is appropriate
- Collaborate with the risk team to perform regular privacy assessments of products and operational processes, and identify and mitigate those risks across the company
- Provide technical structure to teams and work closely with management and stakeholders to define strategic roadmaps
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables with your technical expertise
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards
- Design and implement foundational digital asset infrastructure components used by engineering teams in production
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You have at least 8 years of experience in software engineering
- You’ve experienced architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems with significant impact
- Experience in uplevelling junior engineers via processes and setting a high bar for them to follow
- You know what high quality code — and software engineering processes — look like and know how to foster an environment that creates them
- You’re passionate about building a platform for engineering and security customers
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with working in rapid growth environments
- Experience working in a Security department identifying and mitigating risks through software systems
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- You’ve built financial, high reliability, or security systems
Position ID: P48046
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Something looks off?