Senior Security Operations Engineer
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
Art Blocks is seeking a Senior Security Operations Engineer who is excited about digital ownership, generative art, and resilient systems to join our fully distributed North American team. The Senior Security Operations Engineer drives the work of securing our endpoints, monitoring our systems, and refining the processes that enable us to build great products. As the second hire in the Security & Privacy group, this role has room to grow. This person will have the opportunity to design solutions and implement them in a low-key, mission-driven environment. This engineer will be a key contributor to both the Security and Operations roadmaps while driving innovative and scalable detection / response solutions.
You’ll join a small but growing team that is designing, implementing, and validating Art Blocks’ security and privacy posture for our distributed company and our global customers. We partner closely with Engineering, Product Management, and Operations to provide support & guidance to build resilient and scalable systems that bake security into our systems across the company.
We are looking for the best candidates to join our team regardless of location in the United States or Canada. This team is fully distributed & this is a remote position.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have
- Deep subject matter expertise in IT and security engineering best practices
- Hands on experience using Identity and Access Management (IAM) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) programs to manage risks & create a secure ecosystem
- Experience building and developing processes to enforce least privilege in a transparent way to manage security threats
- A detailed understanding of securing the work environment and technical ecosystem of a fully distributed team, including significant experience securing and managing distributed Apple, Linux, and Windows devices
- Deep familiarity with cloud based services, their integrations, and associated risk models
- Exposure to and interest in code-as-infrastructure patterns
- Owned multiple full-lifecycle projects from design through implementation
In this role you will
- Design, implement, and maintain systems to help us operationalize our security and make secure decisions clear. You’ll stay on top of evolving threat intelligence and vulnerability data to help Art Blocks respond to active and potential threats.
- Define, implement, and refine how we manage endpoints to solve the question of how we double in size and get more secure. You’ll be identifying gaps in our systems, designing new solutions, and driving implementation to meet the needs of our growing organization.
- Orchestrate and monitor our cloud-based systems to detect and respond to threats through our whole ecosystem. You’ll prioritize the risks and strategically take action to solve the most critical issues first.
- Actively contribute to our vulnerability management program by aligning our monitoring and mitigation efforts with known vulnerabilities.
- Lead emerging trend research, orchestrate product evaluations, and select the latest industry standards and tools. Help us see around corners by researching and testing new technologies that can improve our security posture.
- Lead the strategic design, implementation, and support of cutting-edge IT security tooling across cloud services, empowering our fully distributed team.
- Perform security and risk assessments, threat modeling, and remediation in collaboration with engineering.
- Conduct vulnerability scans, perform attack simulations, and coordinate pen-tests.
- Collaborate with engineering to implement a secure infrastructure.
- Drive concurrent projects and manage competing priorities by communicating proactively.
- Drive operational excellence through documentation of best practices and comprehensive employee training initiatives.
- Leverage your expertise to perform in-depth system analysis, identifying opportunities to implement robust defense mechanisms while strategically planning for future scalability.
- Foster collaboration with cross-functional teams, including engineers and key stakeholders, to ensure the seamless delivery of reliable services, APIs, and critical systems.
- Work collaboratively with product teams, drive collaboration across the distributed organization, and participate in on-call rotation if necessary in the future.
What you’ll bring
- 4+ years of relevant experience in, security, SRE, IT, or similar role at a technology company and 4+ years working in security operations
- Experience with managing and deploying MDM solutions like Kandji, JAMF, Hexnode, InTune, etc.
- Experience with deploying and managing Identity and Access Management (MFA, SSO, Password Management, etc.)
- Familiarity with incident response in AWS, SaaS, MacOS, and Linux
- Experience with mass deployment of security products in regards to email security and systems security
- Automate security analysis, administration and remediation procedures, workflows, and tasks
- Familiarity with modern cloud security stack that spans cloud and device management
- Experience with one or more object oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Python, etc.).
- Solid problem solving and communication skills that you’ve honed by collaborating across teams in prior roles
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and map a path towards sustainable, elegant solutions
- Proficiency in object oriented programming languages
- Expertise in IT compliance frameworks such as SOC2, ISO, etc.,
- One or more current and valid certifications directly applicable or complementary to the role and area of expertise such as: current Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), etc.
We hire talented and motivated people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our team to reflect the world. If you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every bullet point listed here, we still encourage you to apply. If you’re a creative, action-oriented problem solver, who wants to build great products, we want to hear from you.
- AWS, Hasura & Terraform
- The Graph
- Infura, Alchemy
- Popular web3 libraries (ethers.js, web3.js)
Your experience with our specific technical stack (or any specific stack) is of secondary importance to us. We care much more about finding candidates who have solid fundamentals, general aptitude, a desire to learn, and are compassionate and collaborative people to work with. We understand that it will take time to ramp up and are excited to consider non-traditional candidates who are excited about what we are building.
- Remote work environment, flexible hours
- Competitive salary, bonus, and equity
- Unlimited PTO: everyone is required to take a minimum of 20 days PTO per year, and you are welcome to take more (with the support and approval of your manager)
- 14 company days off in accordance with the holiday closure calendar
- 12 weeks parental leave
- In-person employee meet-ups at hosted team events as well as industry conferences
- Budget for WFH setup (laptop, monitor, headphones, keyboard, etc.) to make sure you have the hardware and tools needed to do great work.
- Participation in Employee Charitable Giving Program and pride to work at an organization that has given over $20 million to charitable causes in two years
- Healthcare benefits, including vision, dental, FSA, HSA
- Life & disability insurance
Art Blocks is a first of its kind platform focused on genuinely programmable, on-demand, generative content stored on the Ethereum Blockchain. We are creating the platform for all kinds of generative design projects. To learn more about what we are building, please visit artblocks.io, follow us on Twitter (twitter.com/artblocks_io), or come hang out in our community Discord (discord.gg/artblocks).
Art Blocks has multiple openings for curious and collaborative people who are excited about digital ownership and generative art. We are looking for candidates who are team oriented and treat each other with kindness and respect. We are looking to fill roles for engineers with varying prior experience levels — your desire to learn, your ability to tackle challenging problems in a fast paced environment, and your willingness to collaborate are important in our changing environment.
See more open positions at Art Blocks
Something looks off?